Hi All- Thank you so much for all of your prayers. I so appreciate all the dear friends and family that took the time to pray with me and have been so supportive during this scary time.
As most of you know, I went to my optometrist Monday about the blind spot in my eye. She thought it was Histoplasmosis and scheduled me an appointment with a retina specialist in Killeen on Aug. 11. The specialist has offices in Austin and visits Killeen only a few times a month. Over the next couple of days, my vision seemed to be worsening so I took matters into my own hands and called the doctor's office and asked if I could be seen sooner if I was willing to drive to Austin. They had an opening Thurs. morning at 8:45 so I took it. I fully intended on driving myself. I was so anxious to get some answers about my eye. My mom heard what I was doing and asked to get off from work so that she could drive me. Some dear friends offered to keep the kids and Cady was even able to go to her last day of swimming lessons with Sue and her daughter Sarah! Anyway, we left Cove at about 6:30 am and got to Austin at 8:15. They got us right in and started testing my vision and then dilated my pupils with those nasty drops. The office was so professional and quick. We just went from one station to the next. The doctor looked at it and said he agreed with my optometrist and it looked like I had a blood vessel that was leaking blood and fluid. After some photographs that took pictures of the layers of my eye and a test to find the leak where they injected dye into my arm, the doctor told me my options. He said there was no way they could do the laser surgery that was normally used for this type of thing because the blood vessel was in the center of my vision and I would lose my sight. He said there was a new drug called Avastin that has just started being used during the last 6 or 9 months. It's normally used for colon cancer but in this case it stops the growth of more blood vessels that cause the scarring that causes vision loss. He said they could administer the injection into my eye right then and I said OK! They numbed my eye with drops and swabs and junk and then stuck a needle in my eye! Eeeek! Then they prescribed an antibiotic eye drop and we were done! My eye is killing me but I'm just happy that I can see my kids.
I have an appointment in 5 weeks to see how the injection worked. I may need one or two more. Long term, there is a 20% chance I'll regain the vision I've lost. Otherwise, it probably won't get any worse! Also, the histoplasmosis was only in my left eye! Overall, it's been a great day! Thank you for your prayers and support! Love Anna
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
That is wonderful news following behind horrible news. Anna, hang in there! Wish I was there to hug you! Remember, we all love you and would do anything to be with you.
Miller clan sends thier prayers.
PRAISE THE LORD!
Anna,
I am glad to here that the doctor took action right away, and there is a plan. I love ya girl and I hope you are doing okay.
You know I'll be gone tonight and tomarow, but I should see you in church. So if you need me... I'll be home Saterday night.
Love
Sarah
Anna, I am glad to hear that you are doing ok! That is scarey! A shot in the eye, the thought of that sends chills! Get Better!
Dana
Hey Anna:
Best wishes with your eye. You have a lot of guts, and I respect your ability to take that shot right in the eye! Contacts scare the !@#$#@ out of me. Congratulations on Chase and Cady. I hope you and yours will live a very happy sight filled life. Ms Eva
Post a Comment